In this type of massage the parents learn good techniques of infant massage. This provides not only a bonding opportunity, but also a therapeutic treatment for the infant, and usually the parents too.
Benefits of Infant Massage for the Infant
- Infant-Parent attachment or “bonding”
- Promotes better sleep
- Boosts immune system
- Improves skin condition
- Improves blood circulation
- Helps in digestion
- Balances respiration
- Provides relief for teething pains
- Helps in waste elimination
- Stimulates production of oxytocin (Oxytocin is a hormone which can be produced by both male and female persons during massage. It is useful as a pain reliever and has a calming effect on the person.)
Benefits of Infant Massage for Parents
- Relaxes the parents
- Parents learn to understand and respond to baby’s cues.
- Parents learn techniques to comfort, calm and soothe their babies.
- Provides an additional avenue for close and nurturing contact.